Tuesday 31 March 2015

069 CYCLING THAILAND (3) - EN ROUTE TO MYANMAR


69 THAILAND (3)
Bangkok – Mae Sot - Myanmar Border
572 Kilometres – 15 Days
16 March – 29 March 2015


 

  

16 - 20 March - Colombo, Sri Lanka – Bangkok, Thailand

I completed my cycle around the island of Sri Lanka upon reaching Colombo. The following day, I booked a flight to Bangkok, Thailand, mainly to secure a visa for Myanmar. Despite my flight departing at 7:20 a.m., my taxi could only pick me up at 3:00 a.m. for some strange reason. Nonetheless, I arrived early at the airport, which gave me ample time to wrap my bike box.

A few hours after the flight touched down in Bangkok, a taxi soon dropped me off in the popular tourist area of Banglamphu, also known as ‘Backpackerville’. I was pleased to see that the area around Khao San Road was just as lively as I remembered it from 6 years ago, packed with vendors selling everything from clothing to fake IDs and even deep-fried scorpions on a stick. I settled into a room at a guesthouse along Phra Athit Road and made it home for the next few days.

By morning, I submitted my passport to the Myanmar Embassy to apply for a visa. The process took a few days, so I took it easy and explored the city. I relied on the Skytrain to get to and from the city centre, where I hoped to find a new phone charger. I always enjoyed using public transport in foreign cities as it made me feel like I was learning something while getting around. The following day was spent visiting a few temples as I thought the temples of Thailand were exquisite. They are not merely old but immensely colourful and ornate.

One can’t be in Bangkok and not pop into Wat Pho (The Temple of the Reclining Buddha). Famed for its giant reclining Buddha measuring 46 metres in length and 15 metres in height, it’s impressive by anyone’s standards. Unfortunately, the weather was sweltering, and the place was swarming with tourists making me exit the overcrowded hall in a hurry.

The way back led past numerous mobile carts selling various goods, including second-hand false teeth, and I thought that when someone sells second-hand false teeth, no one can accuse them of not trying.

A few days later, I collected the Myanmar visa and was ready to cycle out of Bangkok. The Mae Sot-Myawaddy border was one of the few open borders between Thailand and Myanmar and was roughly a week’s cycle away. The route was sprinkled with interesting sights, so I was in no hurry.

I used my time to get a leg wax and pedicure and, by evening, sauntered along the river to take a few pictures. Unfortunately, I didn’t come across much to capture, except the old fort along Phra Athit Road. So, instead, I had a beer and a bite to eat in the alleyways.

 

21-22 March - Bangkok – Ayutthaya - 90 km

Cycling out of Bangkok was effortless but slow due to the roadworks. Eventually, I reached a rural path next to a canal that led me through a typical Thai countryside with ornate temples and bright green rice paddies. The weather was scorching, and I was relieved to arrive at Ayutthaya, which offered affordable accommodation. 

Despite arriving late, I made my way to the famous ruins of Ayutthaya, now recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Ayutthaya was established in 1350 and served as the country's capital until it was destroyed by the Burmese Army in 1767. At its height, Ayutthaya was one of the largest and wealthiest cities in the East. This era also marked the peak of Thai regional dominance.

Today, the ruins cover a vast area, and I spent an extra day exploring some of the outlying ruins in Ayutthaya. The following morning, I took my bicycle and explored more old ruins and temples.

 

23 March - Ayutthaya – Lopburi - 65 km

Lopburi, a small city with impressive ruins, was a short and pleasurable bike ride away. NooM Guesthouse, which offers budget rooms, is ideally located and caters to backpackers. Since Lopburi is small, nearly all attractions are within easy walking distance.   

Later, I took a short stroll to the Prang Sam Yot temple, home to a troop of resident monkeys. According to Hindu-Buddhist beliefs, monkeys have divine connections and shouldn't be harmed. Despite being a menace, they are fed instead of chased away. Tourists love the experience, but shopkeepers constantly battle as the monkeys grab anything left unattended.

 

24 March - Lopburi – Nakhon Sawan - 131 km

The day was overcast, which made for pleasant biking, and the threatening clouds didn't bring any rain. With the weather in my favour, I continued towards Nakhon Sawan, where I found the P.A. Place Hotel. The hotel had convenient, motel-style rooms on the ground floor and was located near restaurants, making it an easy choice.

Although Nakhon Sawan didn't have many attractions, it was situated at the confluence of the Ping and Nan Rivers, which merge to form the mighty Chao Phraya River.

 

25-26 March - Nakhon Sawan – Kamphaeng Phet (Kamphaengphet) - 126 km

The weather was partly cloudy, so I continued biking towards Kamphaeng Phet, famous for its impressive ruins and another UNESCO World Heritage Site. On my way, I met Mel and Lee, who were travelling by car and stopped to chat. Mel is from Australia, and Lee from Thailand. They have made Chang Mai their home after three years of cycle touring.

I couldn't resist buying some rice cooked in bamboo from a stall I came across, and it turned out to be the best rice I've ever tasted. Once I arrived in Kamphaeng Phet, I opted for the Three J Guesthouse, which had some unique and interesting rooms.

The following day, I spent my time exploring the historical areas and buildings of Kamphaeng Phet, which date back to the 14th century. Running around the old ruins like a famous explorer was fun but, unfortunately, I lost my phone in the process.

 

27 March - Kamphaeng Phet – Tak - 70 km

The day marked my eighth year of cycle touring. During this time, I have witnessed countless magnificent sights, met incredible people, and tried some unusual food. I have crossed mountains and deserts, and on many days, questioned my sanity.

The journey from Phet to Tak was, however, enjoyable as the route followed the Ping River. Although it was a relatively short day, a significant mountain range loomed ahead on the way to Mae Sot and the Myanmar border. Therefore, Tak was an excellent place to overnight before embarking on the final 90 kilometres to Myanmar.

 

28-29 March - Tak – Mae Sot - 90 km

I left Tak without having breakfast, assuming I would find a place to eat during the day. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a suitable location, and the day became a slow and challenging ride over the mountains. As I approached the top of the first big climb, I was disheartened to see yet another incline. Luckily, the weather changed, and the overcast conditions made biking easier. Still, I wheezed my way up the steep inclines.

Finally, I spotted a temple atop a hill, which usually marked the high point. Cars were honking as they passed, and I assumed it was a good luck thing. Exhausted, I was relieved to see the way down. The descent was equally steep, and I sped down and into the border town of Mae Sot, reaching speeds of almost 60 km/h.

Despite being tired and hungry, I managed to find a budget room at the First Hotel, which seemed to be the oldest hotel in Mae Sot. The rooms were huge and decorated with beautiful Burmese teak furniture. Even the corridors and staircase were adorned with wooden carvings. The next day, I spent the best part of the day doing laundry and eating more than two days' worth of food.

Mae Sot is a fascinating border town with a diverse population. I had lunch at Khrua Canadian, where Dave and his wife had been running the restaurant for the past 17 years. Dave was not only knowledgeable about food but also possessed a wealth of information.

 

31 March - Mae Sot, Thailand - Myawaddy, Myanmar - 10 km

Mae Sot, Thailand, was just a five-kilometre bike ride from the Friendship Bridge, which served as the border control point between Thailand and Myanmar. Since I already had a visa, I only needed a stamp in my passport.

It always amazed me how crossing a line on a map could lead to such a vastly different environment. The people, clothing, food, currency, and language were all different from what I was used to in Thailand. After completing customs and immigration procedures, the next task was to withdraw Myanmar currency from an ATM. The exchange rate was 1,000 kyats to 1 USD, and I had to buy a new wallet to store all the notes.

Once again, Myanmar surprised me with its unique culture. Men still wore the traditional longyi, many had red-stained teeth from chewing paan, and almost everyone used face paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment